2019 isn’t over yet, but I’m already looking ahead to 2020 to give you the best ways to maximise the bank holidays and make the most of annual leave. Because there’s nothing like getting your requests in early and making the most of the year, right?
As my backpacking trips are more limited these days, with work and life commitments taking priority I have to make sure I’m making the most of my annual leave each year.
Unlike 2019, we’re not so lucky in 2020. Well done if you managed to maximise on the calendar this year to turn your 25 day annual leave allowance into 55 days off work. Because of the way the bank holidays and Easter fell if you took 8 days of annual leave at Easter you would have managed to get 16 consecutive days off work.
Unfortunately, this year Good Friday and Easter Monday fall much earlier – Friday 10th April and Monday 13th April – which means there’s no little tricks to be had this year.
However, there’s nothing quite like a long weekend – or the shorter working week – to give us a new lease of life.
Whether you’ve got a wedding in the works, are planning a long weekend trip or are simply living from the weekend in your 9-5, look no further: these are all the bank holidays in 2020 for those living in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
2020 BANK AND PUBLIC HOLIDAYS
- New Year’s Day:Wednesday 1 January
- New Year’s Holiday:Thursday 2 January (Scotland only)
- St Patrick’s Day: Tuesday 17 March (Northern Ireland only)
- Good Friday:Friday 10 April
- Easter Monday:Monday 13 April (England, Wales and Northern Ireland only)
- Early May bank holiday:Friday 8 May
- Spring bank holiday:Monday 25 May
- Battle of the Boyne (substitute day): Monday 13 July (Northern Ireland only)
- Summer bank holiday: Monday 3 August (Scotland only)
- Summer bank holiday:Monday 31 August (England, Wales and Northern Ireland only)
- St Andrew’s Day:Monday 30 November (Scotland only)
- Christmas Day:Friday 25 December
- Boxing Day (substitute day):Monday 28 December
Other key dates to remember for 2020:
- Burns Night:Saturday 25 January
- Chinese New Year:Saturday 25 January
- Valentine’s Day:Friday 14 February
- Shrove Tuesday:Tuesday 25 February
- Ash Wednesday:Wednesday 26 February
- St David’s Day:Sunday 1 March
- Mothering Sunday:Sunday 22 March
- Daylight saving time starts– Sunday 29 March
- St George’s Day:Thursday 23 April
- Ramadan start (TBC):Thursday 23 April
- Eid al-Fitr (TBC):Saturday 23 May
- Summer Solstice:Saturday 20 June
- Father’s Day:Sunday 21 June
- Eid al-Adha begins (TBC):Thursday 30 July
- Islamic New Year:Wednesday 19 August
- Rosh Hashanah:Friday 18 September
- Yom Kippur:Sunday 27 September
- Daylight saving time ends:Sunday 25 October
- Halloween:Saturday 31 October
- Guy Fawkes Night:Thursday 5 November
- Remembrance Day:Wednesday 11 November
- Diwali (TBC):Saturday 14 November
- St Andrew’s Day:Monday 30 November
- Hanukkah begins:Thursday 10 December
- Winter Solstice: Monday 21 December